Tuesday, July 30, 2019

It's a mystery why life isn't fair.





She just couldn't stop bragging about herself and her life. The middle- aged woman carried on and on about how charmed her family's life was. I listened to her and confirmed to her how wonderful her life is. I don't know the woman's name, I met her early last month when I was sampling cookies at a market I work at. I'll refer to her as "Ms. JOY"

Ms. JOY and I started chatting about her cookie business  She was spending the summer away from her big family home in the city and summering at her lakeside cottage. Since her daughters are now at prestigious universities she has plenty of time to bake cookies at her summer cottage. Oh....I should mention that Ms. JOY is the ultimate cookie baker and has a special art of baking like nobody else. When she's not relaxing at the private beach, golfing at the country club, or on her yacht she likes to make cookies and sell them at the farmer's market for $2.00 each (for some pocket change).

Ms. JOY and her family have lived in several countries around the world (expenses paid) because her husband has "a very important job and makes lots of money." Ms, JOY is so proud of her amazing life. She doesn't really seem to care much about anybody else's. Why should she? She's too busy boasting about her own charmed life. 

Shortly after Ms. JOY finished talking to me and walked away with her high self esteem a man in a wheelchair appeared. He had a big smile on his face. I noticed he had only one leg and some of his fingers were missing on his left hand. I felt sad to see this but the man didn't seem to have any pity on himself. He greeted me with "Hello, how are you on this lovely day?" We chatted for a few minutes and he was so inspiring and terrific to talk to. I gave him an extra cookie as I tried to fight the tears and ask myself "Why is life so unfair?"

Perhaps because I'm so sensitive I have a hard time dealing with the unfairness of life. Yes, there are those that have worked very hard to accomplish what they have. They were determined, driven, and focused. Some had a supportive family and lots of money to help them along. However I know plenty of other people myself included that "paid their dues in life"and lived with integrity but for some reason the right opportunities in life didn't come their way and they do their best to get by day to day. How about the children who are diagnosed with cancer and have only a few months to live?  a stillborn baby that never had a chance to even have a day of life? What about abusive relationships, family conflicts, lack of funds? There are those that truly suffer and that's why I conclude that "IT'S A MYSTERY WHY LIFE ISN"T FAIR.

In moments when we feel discouraged by life's obstacles it's important to count our blessings because even though life is filled with unfairness there are still things to be grateful for. Take moments everyday to find things to be thankful and grateful for like being able to hear and see, having shelter, food, and water, being able to walk and talk. By finding things to be grateful for I find that my moments of dwelling on life "being unfair" makes me appreciate the blessings that life does have.

No comments:

Post a Comment

MOMENTS OF BLISS DIVINE!

  Responsibilities keep piling up, so much to do and sometimes not enough time to get everything done and that's why we as humans need &...