Tuesday, June 1, 2021

Pure Michigan, Adventures in the Upper Peninsula

Even though I was born and raised in Michigan I never appreciated it. Every state in America seemed better than Michigan. That's why I ended up living and working in other states; California, Colorado, Florida, Maine, Montana, New Jersey,  New York, and Vermont. I got to work in other countries too; Austria, Ireland, Norway, and Ukraine. So where am I now? 
M I C H I G A N

When my Mother was diagnosed with Alzheimer's my brother insisted that she be moved from Dearborn (a suburb of Detroit) where she had lived 40 years to Traverse City, in northern Michigan. I drove my Mother and her cat Sari from Dearborn to Traverse City where my brother had a rented house waiting for her. I was only supposed to stay in Traverse City three months while I helped my Mother get settled into her new community but I stayed much longer. Seven years to be exact. I still thankfully have my Mother but her Alzheimer's is quite advanced. She's in a wheelchair now and doesn't talk much but she does sing without lyrics.                                                                                                 

Since I stayed in Northern Michigan (for my Mother's sake) and managed to support myself with various jobs I've discovered that Michigan (particularly Northern Michigan) is an outdoor's paradise. Even though I still have the travel lust, I feel content in northern Michigan, "the land of milk and honey" with its fresh water lakes and pine trees. Yesterday my friend and I had to go to Wisconsin to get a pop up trailer. The drive over the Mackinac Bridge into Michigan's Upper Peninsula was breath-taking mile after mile. I was stunned at how gorgeous everything was. The Upper Peninsula of Michigan looked like a Scandinavian country, a touch of Sweden in the Midwest. The crown jewel was Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, gorgeous cliffs hovering over Lake Superior with plenty of hiking trails in lush green woods.

Yes, to think that now I find my most exhilarating adventures in the state I'm originally from. I guess you can go home, after all, for me it's Michigan, "Pure Michigan." A farewell to the other states I used to call home. Where do you live? Are you content with where you live? Enjoy your moments wherever you are living!



No comments:

Post a Comment

MOMENTS OF BLISS DIVINE!

  Responsibilities keep piling up, so much to do and sometimes not enough time to get everything done and that's why we as humans need &...