Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Getting what you wish for, free bananas, dollar burgers, dollar cookies, and a trip to Fishtown!

Sometimes you really get what you wish for. On Sunday's I take care of my mother who has Alzheimers. We had a frustrating morning and by early afternoon I wanted to take her and her friend Arch to the beach so that we could all have a change of scenery. As much as I wanted to take them to the beach, I dreaded driving there. "I wish someone could drive us there," I thought to myself. Seconds later there was a knock on the door. It was Arch's son Chip. He came to visit his father and wanted to take him on a drive. My mother and I were welcome to come.

Ten minutes later we were in Chip's car heading to Leland, otherwise known as Fishtown. The sun was shining and the one lane country road to Leland had a hint of changing leaves on the trees. We passed by cow and turkey farms and finally landed in Leland. Tourists flock to this picturesque town nestled between Lake Leelanau and Lake Michigan. It's a walking around town with a lovely harbor and a fishing village. Many of the shanties have turned into shops; Carlson's Fisheries, Dam Candy Store, and Village Cheese Shanty are my three favorites.



Arch, Chip, my mother Alexandra, and I had a lovely time in Leland. We walked on the boat docks, sat near the harbor and I excused myself for 20 minutes to do some adventurous exploring. In those few short minutes I sampled some fish sausage at Carlson's and glanced at shirts in a clothing store. Afterwards I went inside the Leland Mercantile (a supermarket called Merc) by the locals. It was so delightful in there and I marveled at all the treats from homemade apple pies to vegetable pot pie. Since the Leland Mercantile was closing soon the deli was getting rid of all the hot food for $1.00....there were french fries, chicken wings, and cheeseburgers in a pretzel bun for only $1.00. How could I resist a $1.00 cheeseburger?


Sitting near the registers was a table filled with apples from a nearby orchard. Only $4.00 for a big bag of apples, now I could make my own apple pie. Next to the apples was a sign that said "Free Bananas." I grabbed five of them. The man at the register said I was welcome to take as many bananas as I wanted but five was enough. My last stop was the Village Cheese Shanty to get a bag full of chocolate chip cookies for one dollar. (The best chocolate chips cookies too).

What a day it was, a trip to a gorgeous Fishtown called Leland and I didn't have to drive. My mother Arch, and Chip were so happy and relaxed sitting on the harbor. I opened up my bag of treats and gave everyone a banana and a chocolate chip cookie. We sat around a bit longer and than took a short walk on the beach. 

Sometimes when you have a frustrating day it's amazing how a little escape can melt the stresses away and give you a whole fresh start. The best part about this trip was the happiness it brought to
four people but the free bananas and $1.00 burger was a bonus.

It's certainly nice when a wish comes true in a matter of moments!






No comments:

Post a Comment

MOMENTS OF BLISS DIVINE!

  Responsibilities keep piling up, so much to do and sometimes not enough time to get everything done and that's why we as humans need &...