Monday, December 1, 2014

We Gather Together





                                                    Thanksgiving Meal

We gather together to ask the LORD'S blessing; He chastens and hastens His will to make known. The wicked oppressing now cease from distressing; Sing praises to his Name; He forgets not his own.  Lyrics by Adrianus Valerius; 1597 (A Dutch Christian hymn)

This past weekend millions of Americans gathered together with their family and friends to celebrate one of the most popular holidays; THANKSGIVING DAY.


How wonderful it would be if every American had lots to be thankful for but that's not always the case. There are some people that really have setbacks like financial issues, health problems, being all alone and homeless...the list goes on. My heart goes out to those that have challenges and difficulties because I was faced with those setbacks myself this year.


In our moments of life, circumstances can change instantly. In times of desperation when all hope is gone little miracles have a way of evolving in our lives. As an example I had no one to celebrate my Thanksgiving Day with; so I thought. Later in the day I remembered about a gathering at a local restaurant for folks that had no family and friends to celebrate Thanksgiving Day with. The owner of the restaurant was offering a free community meal. When I arrived to the cozy and intimate restaurant it felt like a visit to a distant relatives home in the countryside. A large table was filled with a buffet of traditional dishes with an eclectic twist and there was another table with complimentary wines. 


I sat with complete strangers to enjoy my delicious meal and those strangers were so friendly and talkative. We all enjoyed our meal together. After I left that Thanksgiving gathering a co-worker called and insisted that I join her and her family for dinner. Within a half hour of leaving the restaurant I was now at a lovely house filled with laughing kids and happy adults. My co-worker introduced me to her huge family and they treated me with kindness the entire evening. We all had a blast together.


Life certainly brings us moments of surprises. In a split second sadness can lead to genuine happiness and the LORD can bring blessings of thanksgiving to us, forgetting not his own. To gather together and lift other's spirit's is truly a gift of thanks.




No comments:

Post a Comment

MOMENTS OF BLISS DIVINE!

  Responsibilities keep piling up, so much to do and sometimes not enough time to get everything done and that's why we as humans need &...