Tuesday, July 6, 2021

A Fourth of July Church Picnic!

"It's when we don't have expectations that life brings us a pleasant surprise"

Last 4th of July was hard to top. Even though it was the peak of a horrible pandemic of covid-19, I was invited to a gorgeous home on Torch Lake belonging to a rich family. (The only reason I was invited was because an acquaintance of mine whose a realtor said he could bring a guest to the party and he chose me as his guest). To my surprise everyone at the party was friendly and gregarious. I brought some homemade brownies to the party (which was a great idea since nobody brought dessert).

What a grand time we had despite the Covid precautions. We drank craft beer, ate delicious food, and took a boat ride on majestic Torch Lake to see the famous sandbar, and went swimming.  Lou, the man who owned the gorgeous home and hosted the 4th of July gathering with his wife and daughter was so pleasant. He worked hard to become a successful business owner and he deserves owning four homes, (one of them is in South Africa). Although I felt unworthy of being there since I'm extremely unsuccessful, that particular day was special. I was able to experience what life is life for those that are wealthy.


This summer, 2021 with things getting back to almost normal I wasn't invited to any gathering. Instead I headed to church for a holy liturgy at "Archangel Greek Orthodox Church." Shortly after service was over, I went to help in the garden and when I returned to the church to wash my hands in the bathroom I encountered Father Ciprian, the priest. We talked for a few minutes and than Father Ciprian told me I was welcome to join the impromptu picnic out back. What a delightful surprise. I accepted the invitation and went to the back patio where a large picnic table was set up. A woman named Beatrice was in front of the grill warming up brats and hot dogs. Views of the lovely East Bay blended perfectly with the rolling farmland and one couldn't have asked for a more peaceful place to celebrate the 4th of July.

Father Ciprian said a prayer and then a group of us, kids included feasted on a variety of foods. It wasn't about the food for me though, I was thrilled to have people to socialize with on a 4th of July day when most people do just that, gather with others to celebrate "Independence Day in America." I thanked Father Ciprian for inviting me to be part of this fun filled gathering and now I have such sweet memories. Although that 4th of July gathering last year at Lou's million dollar home on Torch Lake was a one of a kind experience that I'll never forget, I felt more at home at this Fourth of July church picnic it was plain and simple with no need to impress anyone and that's what best for an unsuccessful person like myself.

Hoping everyone had brilliant, incredible, marvelous moments on their July 4th Day and that something unexpected brightens your day; today, tomorrow, and often!



                                

No comments:

Post a Comment

MOMENTS OF BLISS DIVINE!

  Responsibilities keep piling up, so much to do and sometimes not enough time to get everything done and that's why we as humans need &...