Tuesday, July 6, 2021

The Church Garden that Feeds the Poor!

                                               This is the church garden that feeds the poor!

On Sunday, the 4th of July I rode my bicycle through the countryside up a steep road to Archangel Greek Orthodox Church. By vehicle the church is close but by bicycle it takes longer. I was already off to a late start and knew I was going to enter the church late. On that humid Sunday morning wearing my flowered dress and hat I walked inside the church and was immediately greeted by Anya. "So glad you're here dear," said Anya to which I replied "But I'm so late and I'm so sorry about arriving late." Anya didn't judge me at all for my lateness. Instead she gave me a warm welcome hug, and handed me a liturgical book. "We're glad you're here and please don't have any guilty feelings for being late. All that matters is that you've made it to the liturgy service,"said Anya.

Rather than going to an amusement park, parade, or watch a band play patriotic music, I sat inside the church listening to the holy service filled with divinity on the 4th of July morning. After the service some of us gathered in the dining hall, a place reserved to have coffee and food after service. Since the pandemic this was a big "no" but the 4th of July was officially the day that socializing in the dining hall was approved. To celebrate a few of the best bakers made some heavenly treats, apple cinnamon tarts, and European cookies. Absolutely delicious.

After filling my stomach I headed over the church garden where I ran into Marie who was busy picking big bunches of kale out of the garden. "May I help?" I asked. Marie immediately accepted my offer and within seconds I was directed to the pepper patch to pick ripe peppers. That church garden is there to feed the poor. Everyday in the warm months someone from the church goes to the garden to fill bags of fresh grown vegetables and donate them to community food banks. Sunday was Marie's day to get food from the garden and I was so happy to assist her. Marie told me I was welcome to come to the garden anytime I wished to donate to a food bank I was familiar with. How wonderful to know that the church garden feeds the poor and that I can go to the garden on any given day and pick vegetables from the garden to take to a food bank. 

Attending service at The Archangel Greek Orthodox Church was the highlight of my 4th of July, not only was the service moving and uplifting but I felt like I was among family. The best part is that I've discovered The Church Garden that Feeds the Poor and can go their often to fill baskets and bags of food to take to the community food banks. Remember that sometimes the most heartwarming moments in our life is when we can help and serve others!

                                               Fresh picked strawberries from the garden!





No comments:

Post a Comment

MOMENTS OF BLISS DIVINE!

  Responsibilities keep piling up, so much to do and sometimes not enough time to get everything done and that's why we as humans need &...